Wednesday / November 16 / 2011
His checklist for marriage
A recent trending topic on Twitter was, “Whoever I marry…“, where tweeters filled in the blank with what they deemed important. Mixed in with the unrealistic sexual expectations were some true gems. I was especially intrigued with what the men had to say.
We’ve already revealed that girls are NOT pulled aside in kindergarten and taught nagging is sexy and women are always right. (Despite what some of you have experienced).
So, what about Guy Code? Aside from the notorious body noise contests, competitive driving, and practice of always greeting your buddy’s new girlfriend with, “So this is who you’re always bragging about!” regardless of whether or not he’s ever even mentioned her…
What do men have on their checklist for would-be wives?
- He wants to be the reason you smile. Ladies, treat your man like a prince and in return, he’ll treat you like a princess. Devote yourself to him and assure him he’s your one-n-only.
- He wants you to laugh at his jokes. A lot of this comes from respect. Don’t just roll your eyes when he breaks out his favorite puns. Stop taking yourself so seriously and find the humor. Be crazy about his sense of humor. Laugh!
- He wants you to take an interest in his faves. Whether it’s music, sports, or the latest gadget, it’s important to take a genuine interest. That’s not to say you have to do everything together all the time, but the more you share what he loves, the more endearing you become.
- He wants you to call him on his nonsense. No one is perfect. He wants to be admired, not idolized. If you don’t (lovingly) tell him when he’s acting like a buffoon or making a bad call, who will? Don’t nag, don’t nitpick, but don’t lie or look the other way either.
- He doesn’t want you to be clingy; he wants you to be you. Be the amazing “you” you were uniquely created to be. Then, and only then, venture into a “we”.
- He wants you to care more about his dreams and aspirations than his bank account. Stop being so concerned with finding someone with a good job and a healthy bank account. Delve into his dreams and explore who he is.
- And YES, he wants you to be sexy! There’s no such thing as “too much spice” in your sex life. Don’t put the kibosh on adventure, ladies. Live large.
Men… look after her like she’s your sister, respect her like she’s your mother, mean it when you say, “I’m sorry”, and love like you never want to lose her.
Let the promise of nuptials begin!
Share with us how you fill in the blank, “Whoever I marry (or have married)…”