Thursday / January 12 / 2012
7 ways to live happily ever after
Are you aware of this phenomenon where ‘happily ever after’ is smothered with grumbling and complaining? It’s nauseating.
Far from the ‘happily ever after’ I grew up with in the stories of Cinderella and Snow White, I’ve found it’s usually along the lines of either scorning one’s spouse for not being romantic enough or spontaneous enough — or, jealously ridiculing couples who hold hands and look lovingly into each other’s eyes.
So, how can you live happily ever after?
(1) First and foremost, as you’re choosing your happily ever after mate, DO NOT SETTLE! Do not settle for someone simply to fill a void, meet an artificial timeline, or fulfill your fantasy of having a wedding. If you’re more excited about the wedding than the marriage, please have a princess tea party instead.
(2) Stop trying to change your spouse. You married him and he married you — as is. It’s the unique ‘me’ that each of you is which makes for the uniquely special ‘we’ you are together. Be the amazing ‘me’ you were uniquely created to be — and allow him to be the unique individual he was designed to be.
(3) Take an interest in his faves. Whether it’s music, sports, or the latest gadget, it’s important to take a genuine interest. That’s not to say you have to do everything together all the time, but the more you share what he loves, the more endearing you become. Here’s an idea — watch a game with him — you may actually enjoy it.
(4) Be crazy about his sense of humor. Laugh at his jokes. A lot of this comes from respect. Don’t just roll your eyes when he breaks out his favorite puns. Stop taking yourself so seriously and find the humor. Let me put this another way — stop trying to be ‘so grown up’ that you forget it’s the little things that make life worth living.
(5) Have mind-blowing sex! I am the first to say sex is not the have-all, end-all of a relationship. However, it was designed by God to be beautiful and remarkable in a way like no other. Now is the time to spice up your sex life. Trust me. The market’s in your favor.
(6) Take steps to remind him why he’s your One-n-Only. I don’t care how big-n-tough your man is, sincere flattery will get you everywhere. He wants to be king of his castle. He wants you to love, adore, and cherish him.
(7) Say, “I love you!” This may seem like the most obvious one, but allow me to share what my husband says, “I told my wife, “I love you” on our wedding day. And I like to think that I show her every day. But, if I never say, “I love you” to her again, do you think she’ll just assume that I do!?”
‘Happily ever after’ isn’t reserved for a select few. It’s available to everyone. You included. Go getcha some!